For the past eight days, I have begun exploring what it means to have a full-time “career” (i.e. paid) job while also separately maintaining a “vocational” (i.e. what I love doing but do not currently earn money for) job.
It has raised a number of questions, many of which I hope I have the chance to write about and reflect upon. Some I know the answers to, others I don’t. Here’s a few that I’ve been thinking a lot about:
- How do you unwind when there’s always something more to be done?
- How do you find time for people? (Let’s be honest, they are a lot messier and take a lot more time than reading a book and writing a blog post)
- Do you ever get over having to say “no” to things you wish you had time to do?
- What do you do with the tinges of jealousy when you see others being able to full pour themselves into one thing?
- How do you create a balanced lifestyle when you have entered a season bound for busyness?
- Is Sabbath possible with a bivocational rhythm?
- In what order do you respond when people ask “what you do?”
Those are some of my questions. Some may develop into longer reflections some point soon.