I confess to the following pet peeves:
- Chewing gum (the action, not the noun)
- Celebrity fascination (Who cares, they’re just people!)
- Someone who follows me too closely (walking especially, but driving as well)
- Telling me that my shoes are untied (do you really think I don’t know?)
- Slow walkers (don’t you know I’m in a hurry?)
Pet peeves are ridiculous. There is no reason I should get as annoyed as I do by these things, but at the time I feel completely justified in my annoyance.
I think that’s why I felt like confessing them ‘in public.’ If I tell everyone that it is ridiculous to get upset at someone for smacking their gum near me, I will be less likely to get annoyed at the gum smacker. Or, if I tell you in advance that I think it’s ridiculous for me to get upset at you for politely telling me my shoes are untied, maybe it won’t bother me so much next time I throw on my shoes without tying them and running out the door.
Anyone else have pet peeve confessions?